Leaguelane safe 100

Description of your first forum.
ArnOrirm

Ford Explorer Has the Technology to Keep You Safe

Post by ArnOrirm »

The most important thing about any vehicle is that it has the features required to help ensure that you and your passengers always arrive at your destination in one piece.
The Ford Explorer excels at this thanks to its large arsenal of technology aimed at keeping you safe at all times.
Growing Eyes In the Back of Your Head While almost all drivers are perfectly capable of driving forward, reversing their vehicle is an entirely different situation.
Since it is nearly impossible to be 100 percent sure of whether or not there is something behind your vehicle when reversing, it can be quite a stressful endeavor.
Luckily, the Explorer uses a rearview camera to allow you to get a crystal clear picture of the entire area behind the vehicle.
Plus, the projected guidelines allow you to know exactly how far away you are from hitting any objects that may be back there.
This is bound to make the reversing process dramatically easier and can help alleviate a big chunk of the stress facing many drivers during their daily commutes.

Stay In Your Lane With all of the possible distractions that exist on the road

it does not take much for most drivers to become distracted long enough that their vehicle begins to drift out of their lane.
Unfortunately, if you ever let your vehicle leave your lane, then it puts you and other drivers in a very dangerous situation.
That is why the Explorer offers its Lane-Keeping System to help prevent this issue from happening.
If your vehicle begins to drift out of the center of your lane without you first signaling, then the system will automatically alert you and even apply minor corrective steering in order to guide you back to the middle of your lane.
Make sure that you are your loved ones are able to keep out of harm’s way on the road by purchasing the Ford Explorer today.
The post Ford Explorer Has the Technology to Keep You Safe appeared first on Santa Margarita Ford.

elyaqtfgwpci

The increased push toward DevSecOps

Post by elyaqtfgwpci »

image credit: pixabay The emergence of the DevOps culture over the past several years has fundamentally changed software development, allowing companies to push code faster and to automatically scale the infrastructure needed to support new features and innovations.
The increased push toward DevSecOps, which bakes security into the development and operations pipelines, is now changing the state of application security, but gaps still remain according to data from new industry reports.
Read More.

elyaqtfgwpci

going off the beaten path in Sicily truly pays off

Post by elyaqtfgwpci »

8 true ways to Discover Sicily off the beaten track I fell in love with Taormina the second our eyes met, I’ve stood in awe at Agrigento‘s Valley of the Temples more than once, and I’ve chowed down on the best cannoli of my life in Dattilo I have enjoied visiting the mosaics at the Roman Villa in Piazza Armerina, as well as, I have been in the amazing Syracusa and hike in the Etna Volcano but it’s the hidden gems of Sicily that genuinely have me hooked, from quaint villages of colourful stacked houses to mirror-like lakes against Nebrodi backdrops, going off the beaten path in Sicily truly pays off.
Because of it, I spend all my week-ends exploring my homeland, and I’ve discovered plenty of hidden gems on the way, especially over my countless visits to this loveable country in the past years.
This list will no doubt keep expanding as I venture back to discover more hidden gems, but for now here are some top suggestions for those wanting to get off the beaten path in Sicilia, something I promise you will be full of rewards.
The best way to explore a new destination is to venture off the beaten track.
Looking for something a little bit different?  Then you have arrived in the right place as Sicily has a lot of unusual places, .

Sights you should see and experience in combo with the most important Sicilian Highlights

Let me show you a few village list which are lovely to see, amazing to explore and where you can have great meal experience at ZERO-Miles …   Lately, we’ve heard a lot about the negative impacts mass tourism has had on beloved destinations.
So perhaps it’s no surprise that more and more people are looking for intimate, immersive travel experiences that get them away from the crowds and into pristine natural environments and indigenous cultural communities.
To that end, here are my picks for the top 8 off the beaten path travel destinations to include –almost a couple of them in different provinces– as soon as you plan a tour of Sicily.
Anyway, I will be delighted to help you to customize your amazing tour of Sicily at stress-free combining more elements to design something unique and memorable.
Let’s go guys.
#1 Sant’Angelo Muxaro (120 km from Palermo | 40 km from Agrigento) The small town has just over 2,000 inhabitants and is situated on top of a hill where many claim arose the ancient and mythical city of Camicos built by Daedalus and seat of the Sican king Kokalos.
Indeed Sant’Angelo, as evidenced by the vast necropolis which has been subject to numerous excavations, has an ancient history and it is certain that the surrounding area was inhabited in the late Bronze Age, as artifacts dating probably around 1200 / 1300 BC   They are still found in the tombs in the circular room with a domed ceiling (called tholos) scattered throughout the district.
Here it was found an important necropolis sicana which is accessed facing a bumpy path carved into the rock.
The Tomb of the Prince, with a diameter of 8.8 meters.
and a height of 3.5 m.
It is the largest of the group.
Almost all tholos and of various sizes, the tombs contained grave goods of great value and interest, including two gold rings and some cups, one of which is currently on display at Britsh Museum in London.
The whole area of ​​Sant’Angelo Muxaro is strongly affected by karst and includes the presence of more than 200 speleological cavity including the Cave of the Water and Nature Reserve Cave Ciavuli.
The latter also known as Grotta di Sant’Angelo, is about 1 km long.
and inside it it flows a stream before spring north of the hill, forming a pool inside the cave itself.
#2 Marzamemi (60 km from Syracusa/Ragusa | 110 km from Catania) Just a few kilometres up the coast from Italy’s southernmost point.

In the deep south-east of Sicily

is one of Sicily’s prettiest seaside villages: Marzamemi. It was the Arabs of the 10th century who put Marzamemi on the map.
They not only gave the village its poetic name, Mars.
al-hamam (translating as something like Turtle Dove Bay) but also built the original tonnara (tuna processing plant), which was to become one of the most important on the island.
Although the tonnara itself is no longer in function.

Marzamemi continues its artisanal fishing and processing activities

producing all manner of delicacies, including canned tuna, dried tuna roe (bottarga), smoked swordfish, marinated anchovies, seafood pasta condiments, tuna salamis and much more besides.
#3 Aegadi Archipelago: Favignana, Levanzo & Marettimo (Hydrofoil or ferry from Trapani port) The Archipelago of the Egadi Islands, with the islands of Favignana, Levanzo and Marettimo and the islets of Formica and Maraone, is the extraordinary synthesis of history and nature.
Terrestrial and underwater archaeological findings, dating back to the Paleolithic, testify the permanence of peoples from every corner of the Mediterranean, which gave rise to the history of the Western World.
This is the largest protected marine area in Europe where large Posidonia meadows, like a large submerged tropical forest, constitute a valuable habitat for the reproduction of numerous fish species, and we find a great variety of resident and migratory birds, extraordinary cetaceans, sea turtles Caretta Caretta and the rare Monk Seal   Favignana is the largest island of the Egadi: the small town, all gathered around the port, preserves buildings of a certain value, such as the building of the Florio and some baroque churches.
Its name is inextricably linked to the slaughter and processing of tuna: here is the largest tuna trap in the Mediterranean important for the island’s economy for several centuries, and now a museum.
We cycle the island without difficulty, being rather flat and consists largely of tufa rock, used for construction.
Along the paths there are deep quarries, partly excavated by man, partly caused by collapses of the friable rock, surrounded and covered by low bushes.
Levanzo.

The smallest and most precious of the Egadi

with its white houses nestled on the harbor, looks like a crib.
An uncontaminated sea surrounds the island.
Marettimo.

Of the three is the most “island” of the Egadi

in fact it was detached from the mainland several millennia before the other two islands of the archipelago.

For the Greeks Hiera “Isola Sacra”

according to some it could coincide with the ancient Ithaca homeland of Ulysses.

Marettimo is the highest and rocky of the Egadi

with its only fishing village made from small houses close to each other and a daily life woven of peace and serenity.
A silent and quiet island, where you can spend your time at the sea or walking along the paths bordered by lush vegetation or even diving for the variety of the seabed and the coast jagged by hundreds of caves: about 400 emerged and submerged.
For trekking lovers, this is a perfect island: from the village there are several fun trails.
There are many possible excursions; Punta Troia where the homonymous Norman castle towers, now restored and used as a prison museum and observatory of the Egadi Islands Protected Area.
The Roman Houses, where there are the remains of a large building dated between the I,- and the II.
century A.D.
and a small Byzantine church; the Lighthouse of Punta Libeccio, populated with legends; the Semaforo, panoramic point from where you can see the infinite profile of the Mediterranean horizon.
#4 Alia, in the Madonie Park (80 km from Palermo) Alia is a well preserved Medieval village, characterised by an abundance of vegetation.
Thanks to its location close to the Madonie Park.

The most important mountain group in Sicily

Alia is also known as a Garden town.
It is a well preserved Medieval village, characterised by an abundance of vegetation which creates a wonderful environment and breathtaking panoramas.
What I do recommend to see.
e.g.
the Guccione Palace –is considered one of the most charming examples of an Art Nouveau building in Sicily.
Designed by Ernesto Basile this monument shows an interesting facade where it is possible to admire Renaissance and art nouveau decorative elements mixed with the typical traits of nineteenth century Sicilian architecture– and the Gurfa Caves Urban Reserve –the name, Gurfa, derives from the Arab word “gurfah” which means “storage”; this group of artificial caves has six caverns used to preserve the wheat and they also include a well preserved necropolis–.
#5 Mazzarino (90 km from Agrigento/Ragusa) Mazzarino is considered a well preserved example of Sicilian Baroque.   Mazzarino was founded by Greeks in the 7th century BC and named Maktorium.
The current old town centre was created in the Middle Age near the ruins of the Arab castle.
Thanks to its charming and fascinating churches, Mazzarino is considered one of the best well preserved example of Sicilian Baroque in the province.
#6 Buscemi (50 km from Ragusa/Syracusa) Buscemi is a charming village rich in incredible cultural attractions.
Buscemi is an old and fascinating village with ancient origins dating back to the Bronze age.
Like the other villages of this area, .

Buscemi has been completely destroyed by the 1693 earthquake

Visiting Buscemi it is possible to discover lots of interesting cultural attractions

The town of Buscemi, perched on a hill a few kilometres from Ragusa/Syracusa, possesses a singular and interesting museum, I Luoghi del Lavoro Contadino –Peasant Work Places–, the rooms of which are scattered all around the town.
Substantially there are eight rooms that present the work and life of the people of the Hyblaean Mountains, ranging from the workshops of the blacksmith, the cobbler, and the carpenter to the great troughs where the grapes were trodden and the olive-press where Gabriele Lavia filmed scenes in The She-Wolf”, with Monica Guerritore, Raoul Bova, and Michele Placido.
#7 Palazzolo Acreide (40 km from Ragusa | 50 km from Syracusa) Set in the splendid scenery of the Iblei mountains, the picturesque village of Palazzolo Acreide shows itself as a treasure chest to be discovered that is characterized by the singularity of its urban structure, full of testimonies from different eras.
Inserted in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, Palazzolo is an ideal destination for trips out of town or for those who want to visit a place suspended in time, away from mass tourism.
In 664 a.C., on the hill called Acremonte, which separates the valleys of’Anapo and of Tellaro, the Syracusans founded Akrai.
This place even before being appreciated by the Syracusans was chosen by the Siculians, you raised a real village around the XII century numerous were the dominations that were avvicendarono over the centuries: Greek, Roman, Byzantine, Arab, Norman.
From here the various names given to the cityà in different eras: Akrai, Balansùl, Placeolum or Palatioli, and finally Palazzolo to which, in 1862, was added the patronymic of Acreide.

The first historical news of Palazzolo Acreide current you have from the XII century

The medieval center was erected close to the ancient Acre, on a small rocky outcrop below, in a strategic position of control over the territory and the roads, Là where once stood a “palatium” imperial, which has given the name of the new village: “Palatiolum”.
Here a castle was erected by the Normans.
From 1104 it avvicendarono in Palazzolo different baronie: from Guilfredo son of Count Ruggero to Artale d’Alagona, to finish the principles Ruffo di Calabria.
In the XIII-XIV century the demographic increase determinationò expansion of the town in the surrounding area.
Destroyed by the earthquake of 1693, the cityà it was rebuilt in part on the original structures of the medieval quarter and in  part around the actual main course.
In the XVII century the palazzolesi rebelled to feudalism until in 1812 Palazzolo was recognized as a country demaniale.
The Iblei Mountains and the valley of’Anapo are natural and evocative setting to the territory of Palazzolo Acreide.
#8 Mothia island and the Saltpans (140 km from Palermo | 40 km from Trapani + Boat-Shuttle to Mothia) Mozia is a memorable archaeological site in western Sicily, between the towns of Trapani and Marsala.
The site covers an island, the Isola di San Pantaleo, situated in a striking location in a kind of shallow lagoon lined with the salt flats and windmills that are a characteristic of this coastline.

Out to sea you can glimpse the Egadi Islands

The island’s terrain is flat and rural, and excavated stretches alternate with woodland, vineyard and field.
It makes a good day or half-day excursion, with a small museum and extensive ruins to visit.
The coastline next to Mothia and between Trapani and Marsala is mostly made up of salt pans; strange pale expanses of water and salt, dotted with windmills.
There are some of these on the shore by Mozia, so an excursion can effectively combine the two sights.
Some of the salt pans are still operative, and the windmills, though no longer used for their original purpose of pumping water, sometimes retain their sails.
On the shore closest to Mozia, right by a ferry stop, one of the windmills has been made into a shop and visitor centre, the Museo del Sale.
In conclusion, thanks a bunch for having spent your time to read my off the beaten track preferences.
I am 100% Sicilian and I live in Palermo … and, I work in the Travel Industry since LOL too many years and not less than 25 …   Awaiting for you here in Sicily.
Ciao for now Valeria Gulotta nick-name #Valy L'articolo 8 true ways to Discover Sicily off the beaten track proviene da Tour of Sicily.

elyaqtfgwpci

The 4th Annual Community Giving grant cycle opens June 22

Post by elyaqtfgwpci »

The 4th Annual Community Giving grant cycle opens June 22, 2020.
The MDRA Foundation Community Giving Grant is awarded each year to help Minnesota organizations promote youth participation; provide training and education to runners; and to support the running community.   During this uncertain, unsettled time, the MDRA Foundation is looking to support entities that: have a need based on recent health crises related to Covid-19 and/or societal unrest following the killing of George Floyd; or encourage running in diverse or marginalized communities, or foster health, healing and coming together through running.
The MDRA Foundation will be awarding multiple grants in 2020 in amounts between $500 – $1,000.

2020 Timeline and Submission Information Grant opens for applications June 22

2020 Applications are due August 1, 2020.   Notification of grant awards will be made by August 21, 2020.  Submit your grant proposal online.

Funding Criteria Eligible organizations can include nonprofits

schools, small running businesses, and running related organizations.
The following criteria will be considered when reviewing proposals: Demonstrates a need based on impact from damage related to recent unrest or impact from the pandemic.
Running group/organization that meets our strategic goal to encourage running for marginalized or diverse populations.
A fledgling group that furthers our mission, and needs a “kick start”.
Fosters health, healing, and coming together through running.
Click here to apply   For all questions please email [email protected]

Read about past recipients of the Community Giving Grant

2019 Grant Awardee 2018 Grant Awardee 2017 Grant Awardee

elyaqtfgwpci

most of us in NASA have actual racecars that cost less

Post by elyaqtfgwpci »

When you can’t get to the racetrack, but you still feel the urge to play with cars, the next best thing is the digital version of competition.
Racing video games don’t destroy tires, they don’t burn gallons of fuel, and when you are upside-down and on fire … you don’t feel a thing.
Pro racers have been using video games for years to keep their skills up, .

And recently NASCAR has been actually holding sanctioned races online

NASA is even offering $13,000 in prize money for NASA sanctioned races through iRacing

With prize money coming in from Toyo Tires, Hawk Brakes and Competition Motorsport, TrackDecals.com and GTR Simulator, NASA racers can compete online through iRacing.com and bring home serious contingency money.With money like that on the line, it is time to step up your driving simulation rig.
Chances are you aren’t going to win a race on iRacing by pressing the space bar on your laptop for the gas pedal.
You need a good seat, a steering wheel/pedal assembly and a proper computer or gaming system.
Now, there are plenty of companies who would like to take your dollars and they will set you up with a righteous simulation rig for around $10,000 to $20,000.
Yes, I know, most of us in NASA have actual racecars that cost less.
Hey, if you have the scratch, press the easy button, write a big check and you will have a top-notch driving simulator delivered to your door.
Nemisis Lab just launched its new driving simulation rig and it has all the bells and whistles you want to be at your best while racing online.
The company has turnkey systems available for $9,500.

It will even update the livery on the rig to match your racecar.For the DIY folks

the average Joe’s, facing a $10,000 bill for a video game seat seems a bit steep.
But there is nothing to worry about because I can show you that you can race alongside these high-end driving simulation rigs for mere pennies.
First stop: the lumber yard.
Next stop: the wrecking yard (which for a lot of us racers is actually the side yard of our houses).
We scored an illegal racing seat (won’t pass NASA tech) that was rotting in our side yard from an old 24 Hours of LeMons car.
We picked up two 2 x 4s and a box of deck screws from the local hardware store.
A few cuts with the power saw and we began to frame up our $20 driving simulator rig.The trick in setting up a pedal and steering wheel assembly in a DIY driving simulator rig is ergonomics.
You want your arms and legs at the proper positions so you don’t cramp up during long driving stints.
The longest run I have ever done in an actual racecar was a triple stint in the middle of the night at NASA’s 25 Hours of Thunderhill, which probably calculated out to about three and a half hours.
The crazy part is three and a half hours is nothing for a gamer.

I’ve shamefully logged way more than six hours on Gran Turismo in one sitting

The key is to build a comfortable driving position to survive the long stints racing digitally.
With some woodworking skills and taking the time to get some good ergonomic measurements, we were able to crank out this driving simulator in a few hours for less money than a trip to Carl’s Jr.For those of you that are less inclined to cut your fingers off with a table saw, .

You can get in the game quickly by just pressing “Buy Now” on Amazon or Ebay

I started from scratch and scored some brand new gear: a seat, steering wheel/pedals, PlayStation4, .

And the Gran Turismo Sport game all for less than $800

The only thing I didn’t buy was a flat screen TV

I set it all up in my garage and started cranking through the game.

You can actually race in FIA sanctioned events with Gran Turismo Sport

If you don’t want to get crafty you can have Amazon deliver everything you need to go racing online by pressing the easy button.
Everything you see here was less than $800 starting with nothing except the TV in my garage.For those of you who want a little better rig setup, something in-between the $20 system and the $10,000 setup, .

You can go the PC route and use an Oculus Virtual Reality rig for iRacing

My partner at Double Nickel Nine Motorsports

Keith Kramer, built his own driving simulator to prepare for Circuit of the Americas and Mid-Ohio for the last two years’ NASA National Championships.
By just practicing on iRacing, he learned two tracks he had never been to and finished on the podium both years.
Seems like money well spent.
He built a PC, purchased pedals, steering wheel and shifter from Logitech, a seat rig, and an Oculus VR setup all for around $3,500.
He loves it.
I tried it.
It made me carsick and I threw up.
For iRacing, .

Going Virtual Reality (VR) does really bring the game to life

However, it made me absolutely nauseous.
This setup here was about $3,500 total.One of the cool things about digital racing and it doesn’t cost a thing is the ability to adjust the livery of your car.
My brother, Randy, is artistically inclined and he cranked out this Double Nickel Nine Motorsports liveried Acura NSX for Gran Turismo.
I was so impressed with how it came out I decided to buy a bunch of lottery tickets hoping to win enough money buy this actual car and replicate it for Honda Challenge in 2021.
Unfortunately, I haven’t found a winner yet, so this car is only rolling digitally for now.
This is the Double Nickel Nine Motorsports livery on a new Acura NXS for Gran Turismo.Now for those of you who want to spend zero dollars on a driving simulator setup, fellow Honda Challenge racer, Dillon Brennon, built his own rig literally with trash.
He outdid the Toolshed Engineer by out engineering me and beating me on the budget.
He didn’t bother to go to the hardware store to buy wood.
Instead he just used old pallet wood from trash next to his house.
This setup cost Dillon Brandon, known as “ej2_track_rat” on Instagram exactly zero dollars to create.
He says Direct Message (DM) him on Instagram for build tips.Dillon scored a Subaru seat from a buddy, threw together some reclaimed pallet wood and built his setup to go racing on iRacing to compete for that NASA prize money.
Look out for him on the digital platforms.
If he beats you on iRacing, know that he is doing it while his butt is in an old Subaru seat with about 200,000 miles on it.
Oh, and he is probably getting a few splinters in the process.
One man’s trash is another man’s racing treasure.We have proved you don’t have to spend ten grand to go iRacing (although I wouldn’t mind playing in some of those sweet simulator rigs).
We built our rig for about $20.
Dillon Brennon built his for nothing.
We spent $800 and got a bundle of gear to play Gran Turismo Sport through Amazon from scratch.
And my partner at DNN, Keith, dropped $3,500 on a VR setup for iRacing, which has proved to be a solid investment for him at the Championships each year.
Get out your wallet, or start digging through the trash, either way, choose your own adventure.
We will race you in the digital world.

The post Build Your Own Driving Simulator appeared first on NASA Speed News Magazine

elyaqtfgwpci

but revisionist narrative.” Galt is misguided

Post by elyaqtfgwpci »

Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons In a recent op-ed published in the Daily Princetonian, .

Dylan Galt disapproves of current comparisons to communist regimes

He has valid reasons: he was raised in communist China

My story is similar.  I don’t want to employ identity politics to justify my opinions and values.
However, since modern political discourse seems to evaluate one’s identity experience as the true measure of worthiness, I feel prompted to disclose my heritage.

My mother’s grandaunt died in Babi Yar

My paternal great grandmother was dragged away by Nazis (or collaborators) to a forest near her shtetl, Shpykiv, Ukraine.
They executed her.

As these relatives fell victim to the horrendous Third Reich

two of my great grandfathers perished under the oppressive Soviet regime.
My paternal one was executed by firing squad for trying to start an underground private bakery to support his starving family, and a maternal one just disappeared one day.
Another paternal great grandfather died to Luftwaffe machine gun fire while manning an anti-aircraft gun in the siege of Leningrad.
My family has experienced enough deadly ideology that we cannot simply ignore central questions.
I am sure many will attack me for asking the wrong questions.
In Galt’s words: “heard, unheeded”.
Apparently, I’m trying to discredit a movement.
Perhaps a proper public consciousness is just another manifestation of a developing radical ideology.  When does the Right go too far?  We have immediate answers for this question: when the Right ideologically accepts and employs racial superiority.
If such philosophies were to enter mainstream politics, we foretell its bloody conclusion.
We all grow anxious when we even hear whispers of bell-curves alluding to racial disparities.
In popular culture, Hitler and Nazism are the “archetypal evil.” Our immune system is so strong against such pathogenic ideas that it arguably became unsophisticated, and thus autoimmune.

As the Harper letter has pointed out

many are attacking the healthily patriotic cells of our country.
Nonetheless, we have a very powerful and effective cultural image of the evils of the extremes of the ideological Right.  Now, .

When does the Left go too far?  We cannot easily answer this important question

Some say that it’s communism in the 20th century, when the deaths surpassed a hundred million.
But do we all really believe that.
Stalin and Lenin became memes, the Soviet anthem has tens of millions of views on YouTube with an insensitive comment section, and 1 in 5 social scientists identify as Marxists.
This ideology even pervades Princeton: students take pictures of themselves holding up a hammer and sickle flag above Nassau Hall, social media accounts have that bright flag as their profile picture, our professors claim that the USSR “wasn’t real communism,” and that Stalin perverted Lenin’s true Marxist dream.  Do we actually believe communism is when the Left goes too far.

Imagine if a student raised the Swastika flag above Nassau Hall

Imagine if 1 in 5 social scientists were Nazis

Imagine if as a society we joked about Auschwitz.
Imagine if our professors proudly said that Hitler wasn’t a real Nazi and he perverted Anton Drexler’s true Nazi dream.
Some say that a radical Left doesn’t exist, or even argue the USSR was merely “an inept execution.” Despite Western apologetics, Lenin administered and advocated for an organized system of concentration camps, show trials, purges, and secret police.
There was nothing inept about it, ultimately becoming hundreds of camps separated by thousands of miles of taiga.
They covertly abducted, tortured, and enslaved millions of innocents for decades.
The GULAG Archipelago lays out clearly that history, and its genocidal eventuality from first principles.  Others just don’t take the radical Left seriously.
Apparently, Dylan Galt doesn’t either.
Galt claims that “the removal of Wilson’s name…was not about erasing the history of his achievements… It was about remembering all of his history.” Supplementing our historical memory is one thing, like the “double sights” monument.
However, many are trying to remove the Witherspoon statue, the name “Princeton”, and of course, the name “Wilson.” But it’s not only in our University.
Many want to remove George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses Grant, among countless others.
Galt calls this “recording.” I call it “erasure.” Galt argues that an opinion opposed to such removal is “…anti-intellectual because it seeks to conceal history, prevent an expanded curriculum, and preserve a dominant, convenient, but revisionist narrative.” Galt is misguided.
As the Faculty Letter proves, the goal is to compel us to take ideologically premised courses, not just create “an expanded curriculum.” This movement is explicitly trying to mandate “training,” not education.
From the beginning of the POCC letter, which Galt opposes, it clearly states “we have no problem with new courses drawn from diverse intellectual traditions; indeed, we welcome them.” Rather, the POCC opposes mandatory thought, education, and beliefs.  Indeed, it is anti-intellectual to reduce history to good and bad.
I perfectly agree with Galt on “the importance of preserving an academy that studies history in its entirety.” Yet Galt condones “removal,” and simultaneously “denounces” Mao’s “cult of creative destruction.” “Removing” and “preserving” are antonyms, .

And yet Galt utilizes both words to describe one scenario

This argumentative form embodies doublethink.
Finally, Galt claims that these comparisons to communist regimes are “false equivalencies.” Let’s characterize both sides of the proposed equation.  All of the major tyrannies of the 20th century begin with elements of history destruction, social restriction on acceptable ideas, manipulation of academia, fundamental attacks on core principles of the respective culture, and future plans by the corresponding social constructionists to “reimagine” and recreate humanity in their own image.
We are observing the statues and monuments being toppled, the people fired and socially punished for non-aligned positions in the name of “Anti-fascist action”, “silence is violence”, discrimination by politics, #ShutDownSTEM, and the attacks on cross-cultural principles like individual sovereignty and the nuclear family.
Hasn’t the checklist of societal symptoms for totalitarianism been met.
But there are even more fundamental predictors of tyranny.
How about a people’s state of mind.
Fanaticism, intolerance, the mentality of “if you are not with us then you are against us,” bullying, animosity to free speech, and the will to suppress dissenting opinions all indicate a nation’s psychological readiness for totalitarianism.
Maybe it’s too prophetic, but it is time to hear and heed these warnings.
Every movement is threatened by extremist forces.
And, just like a leader, any movement that is unwilling to humbly take a non-selfie look in the mirror is irresponsible.
Of course, there are important discussions to be had addressing inequality where it exists.
Of course, there are important discussions to be had addressing race.
But in both, I fear a parasitic ideology.
There are many other important questions that we refuse to ask: When does the Left go too far.
David Weisberg is a rising junior from the Bronx, New York.

The post When Does the Left Go Too Far

| OPINION appeared first on Princeton Tory

elyaqtfgwpci

WNST trustee honoured by the BBC WNST trustee

Post by elyaqtfgwpci »

WNST trustee honoured by the BBC WNST trustee, Baroness Tanni-Grey Thompson was honoured at the recent BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards ceremony, with the receipt of its “Lifetime Achievement” award.
Tanni joins a pantheon of the world’s sporting greats who have been honoured with this accolade.  Previous recipients include international superstars such as Billie-Jean King, Pele, Martina Navratilova and the late Seve Ballesteros, as well as home-grown icons David Beckham, Sir Ian Botham, Sir Bobby Robson and Sir Steve Redgrave.  All have transcended their individual sport and changed the landscape far beyond the field of play.
Tanni’s achievements during her athletic career are the” stuff of legend” – across five Paralympic games she won an extraordinary 11 gold medals, 4 silvers and a bronze.  Add to this, 13 World Championship medals, including 6 golds.  Then consider the 30 world records over a wide range of distances.  And top all of this off with 6 victories in the London Marathon between 1992 and 2002.
Since retiring from competitive athletics.

Tanni has broken new ground as a pioneering crossbench member of the House of Lords

making landmark interventions on a host of issues; whilst also holding a number of senior appointments across the world of sport and elsewhere, including as chair of UKActive, chair of the Women’s Sports and Fitness Foundation Commission on the Future of Women’s Sport, a board member of Transport for London and a trustee of the Duke of Edinburgh Awards Scheme.

At the Wembley National Stadium Trust

we are proud to have Tanni as one of our board of trustees – her insight into the ways in which sport can make profound and positive changes in people’s lives, is invaluable.

We send our warmest congratulations to Tanni

as a friend and colleague, on the recognition of her achievements that the BBC has bestowed upon her and look forward to continuing our association for years to come.
The post Tanni Grey-Thompson receives lifetime achievement award appeared first on Wembley National Stadium Trust.